The trouble with Halloween costumes

This being Alex's first Halloween I wanted to get her a really cute costume so that she could participate in the festivities, and like the novice that I am I ordered it online. And then we waited, and waited, and waited. It didn't make it for our family Halloween party, or the ward Halloween party, or the Play date Halloween party. And we were still waiting onOctober 31st when I decided I couldn't wait anymore and I was just going to go out and find whatever leftover costume was still at the store. As luck would have it, I have a wonderful friend who came to my rescue. Shawn Christensen, upon hearing my dilema, offerred the services of a "Chubby Chicken" costume that her boys would not be using this year. It was so cute that we decided to go and show daddy at work how cute she was. Turns out you can't take a cute baby dressed in a chicken costume into a photography studio and not come out with some pictures. And conveniently Hazen also has a variety of backdrops to choose from including this old barn door. Cock-a-doodle-doo. Wait, that's a rooster. Oh well, I am leaving it anyway.
Nice re-touch work daddy.


After pictures and returning the ugly costume I had purchased in desparation at the store, we headed home, and what would be sitting on our porch when we pulled up but the costume that I had ordered online. I believe this is the definition of cutting it close. The package arrived at 4:30 on Halloween night. I already had kids at my door! I was debating whether to just send it back when I opened it up and saw the Princess Leia wig, which incidentially could also pass as big horn sheep horns, but nevertheless I was sold. Princess Leia it would be.
Maren and Emery came Trick-or-Treating too.


Alex wasn't as big a fan of the wig as I was. In fact she was fairly grumpy and barely tolerant of the whole idea. She did make it through Trick-or-treating without a fuss, being distracted I am sure by what she assumed were all the other miserable children out there whose parents had also dressed them up in ridiculous costumes to parade around (what good was the candy we were getting going to be to her anyway). But she wanted out the second we got home. However, once she was set free she was all smiles agian. Boy, it is a good thing we went to all that effort for a costume.


Thinking about it . . . Thinking about it . . . Yep, happy agian.

5 comments:

Brianne said...

Hi Lindsay! It's me Brianne. Alex is so dang cute. That Leia costume is hilarious. Definitely worth the obnoxious wait. How is it having a babe?

Anonymous said...

Lindsay! as I was reading along, I thought, "no Halloween costume is worth that wait," but then I saw it, and you're right--that takes the cake!! Cute Princess Leia Alex!!

Shawn said...

Yay! I'm so glad the chubster chicken costume worked out. Alex looks so cute on her first Halloween! Just think, you get to do it all over again next year!!

Ang said...

She looked great!!! I love the new look to the "what up blog!!" Cute. I love the pic of Lance... he was pretty excited about that root beer! You make me laugh! Love you guys! Kisses, ANgeline

Shimmyshimmy said...

I FINALLY FOUND YOU!! this is your long lost roommate, AMY!! wow...you have a baby!! i have been wondering about you for years!! I hope i can see you soon!!
love,
amy